Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Adnam's Kolner


...I'm a bit late getting round to this one; Adnams released Kolner last Autumn as part of thier 'Handcrafted' range. I didn't manage to get any on cask, but did manage to get a couple to enjoy at home, and Kolner was the one I kept (The Stout was swapped in The Grove; I think Fletch might have ended up with it?). Adnams are a big favourite of mine - for me they manage to achieve a perfect balance for a big-selling core range and satisfying the more curious of us by often branching out into seasonals and one-off's - so I had high hopes.

I wasn't disappointed. Despite expecting something like a Koelsch, Kolner (4.8%) comes off a lot spicier, with a rangy, wild, fruity aspect running through it. There's plenty of Peach, Lemon and a touch of Honey on the nose, and this is complimented on the sip with a hint of Coriander. I guess a near-match would be a Witbier in terms of flavour; but all those delicate notes are wrapped up a robust Golden Ale. An interesting beer for sure; and one I certainly recommend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Agree with you on the Adnams 'approach' to the marketplace.

They retain the feel of a devoted micro, along with the quality and high standards - even though they are pretty huge these days.

You'll often find a jacketed cask of Adnams atop bars across the country. A nice touch, especially when the ale contained therein is so consistently delicious.

Anonymous said...

The name is Kölner, as it says on the label. Koelner would be correct if you can't type the Umlaut.

Leigh said...

THG - defo. Love Adnam's, they've got the balance just right.