Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Greek Marinated Chicken; Or How To Have A Virtual Holiday

I'm not going on holiday this year. This saddens me deeply - but the urge to move house means that all the usual holiday funds are being ploughed into that. Whichever way you look at it, stumping up for Solicitor's fees and endless tins of paint is simply not fun.
We normally go to the Med; Greece is a particular favourite, with Samos and Kefalonia being the best recent Grecian breaks. It's the food that gets us; insanely fresh, hearty, tasty, rustic fare, served in the sun in harbour-side tavernas, with a warm breeze blowing away memories of work. Bliss. The simple blue-and-white Taverna, the chilled lager and simple, slightly flinty white wine is my first-class ticket to relaxation.

Last weekend, I made a simple supper to enjoy in the garden; the weather wasn't great but it was warm enough to sit out. Chicken pieces had been marinated in Olive Oil, Oregano, Black Pepper and a little Mint; five or so hours in the fridge. Shoved onto Skewers, these went onto the smoking-hot Griddle-Pan for a couple of minutes each side until they turned slightly golden and sticky. Doused liberally - and I mean liberally - in lip-stinging sea salt and lemon juice, we cracked open a couple of ice-cold Mythos and chowed down.

The first bite; the crunch of salt, the bite of lemon, the succulent, herbed chicken and the smooth, cold lager. I close my eyes. For a second - a fleeting, blissful second - I'm there. I'm on my precious, much -needed, Greek holiday. The power of food and beer to transport should never be underestimated.

It might surprise you to read me enthusing about Mythos but it's one of my favourite beers simply due to the reasons above; the context in which I enjoy it in. I know I'm not alone either, there's been love for Mythos for the same reasons from Mark and the Real Ale Reviews Chaps. So there.

8 comments:

Mark Dredge said...

Damn that looks and sounds good! I adore Greece, Greek food and Mythos. We went to Greece the last four years but we're doing Spain for something different this year and something in me is sad that I won't have two weeks of drinking Mythos by the sea.

Leigh said...

Mark; I knew you'd have my back on this one! Yeah, I'm missing it big time right now. We'd usually be getting ready to go right about now-ish, so maybe that's whats's kicked all this off.

Tandleman said...

Ah Greece. Haven't been there for years as I felt it was getting too rip offy. Won't be adding to my 24 or so Greek Islands visited any day soon. In my day it was cold Henninger or Amstel during the day, with the odd drop of Hellas Fix available in the early days. Evenings though was retsina, preferably in these little Newky Brown bottles.

Must go back again sometime. My favourite island is Sifnos with Nissiros a close second. Or is it Kalymnos or........

Anonymous said...

Nice one, love greek food!!

Not been for a couple of years due to house purchasing and rennovations but going back this year and can't wait!!

Mythos is perfect with gyros pitta (shameless blog plug could go here ;op) and it's quite cool that it's now available in morrisons.

BeerReviewsAndy said...

Nice one, love greek food!!

Not been for a couple of years due to house purchasing and rennovations but going back this year and can't wait!!

Mythos is perfect with gyros pitta (shameless blog plug could go here ;op) and it's quite cool that it's now available in morrisons.

BeerReviewsAndy said...

PS if you want to come and drink mythos by the sea come to redcar...not quite greece but a lot cheaper.

Leigh said...

Guys- Gyros? Possibly one of my favourite foods ever. Tandle - we need to talk! I feel the same way...will be a while until we go back I think. Kevin - definately.

Bailey said...

Nothing wrong with holidaying in your own back garden. We're always on the hunt for a convincing substitute for a real German beer garden but, often, our own back yard, a stone krug of something pilsy, and a bit of schnitzel, is the best we can do.