Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Salmon Parcels



...Or Salmon En Croute, if you like a touch of culinary flair. I needed a dish that was easy to prepare yet looked a little flashy for a weekend supper, and this is what happened. Hardly an original idea, but a lighter option to Beef Wellington and it went down a treat. I have no qualms about using frozen pastry either - the results are excellent and it really is a time-saver. I use Jus-Rol.

Recipe for one parcel; simply replicate however many times you need.

You will need:
One good, fresh Salmon Fillet
A good bunch of Spinach, washed and dried
1 pack of flaky pastry - two sheets (one per parcel)
Black Pepper, to season
1 egg, beaten

1. Warm your oven to 180.
2. Simply lay one sheet of pastry down, and lay your salmon across the sheet however you want it.
3. Season with black pepper.
4. Top the salmon with as much or as little washed and dried spinach as you like. You could also add Fennel, too - i didn't have any but I think that would work.
5. Brush round the fish with the egg wash, and fold pastry over to form your parcel. Decorate/crimp round the edges.
6. Chill the parcels for at least an hour.
7. When ready to cook, put you baking tray in the oven to heat. I find this trick ensures a crispy base every time.
8. Egg-wash your parcels, place on the tray and bake for about half an hour, or until golden.


...And that's it. hardly any work at all and an excellent result. The spinach steams within the parcel, and the fish should be moist - serve simply with parsley sauce and new spuds.


To accompany, I chose one of my favourite Belgians, Orval. It's widely available, and being a little lighter really compliments the delicate flavour of Salmon. You certainly don't want intrusion on the flavour here from your beer choice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post!!! This looked so gud tat i had to try it..
Thanks a lot buddy for sharing with us.
keep up the work.
www.lifeinfozone.com/category/foods-beverages/

Anonymous said...

Recipes like this one make me wish I liked fish!

Leigh said...

all fish? there's not one swimming/floating thing that you like?

Anonymous said...

I can't say there is unfortunately, I think it's just the idea of playing "Bone Roulette with each mouthful that I dislike. Its a travesty especially when you consider I have fly fishing access to wild brown trout as well.

Actually I lied there, I quite like smoked and peppered mackerel fillets as long as there are no bones in them.