Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Summer Beer Fete @ North, Leeds


...And so the summer season of beer festivals rolls on. It's too distracting, I tell ya...anyway, perennial TGS fave North laid on a beer festival specifically aimed at lighter 'summer' beers and mighty fine it was, too.

I started the session with Anglo-Dutch's Yorkshire Wit. I'm usually impressed by AD's brews, and this was no exception - massively citrussy (Grapefruit mainly) and supremely thirst-quenching, sold as chilled as it was. A little spice on the palate, I really could have drunk a lot more of this - but then my head was turned by Outlaw's Amarillo. I'm really keen on single-hop beers, particularly ones from the Outlaw/Roosters stable. The Amarillo was, as you'd expect, clean and grassy, with subtle, sweet malts coming through on the palate.

I'm sure I had read Jon waxing lyrical about Harviestoun's Schiehallion before, so that came my next. And a pleasant surprise it was, too - A yeasty aroma, with some great orange/lemon notes, and a biscuity, full-bodied taste. Lagered ales are a strange beast, but this really did hit the spot and it's the one beer of the festival I will actively seek out again.

Beers from Mordue, Salamander and Kelham Island were available, along with the usual range of North regulars - Sierra Nevada, Roosters, Outlaw and Mort Subite to name a few.

See you at the Winter Beer Festival!

No comments: